Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Wooden Spoon Girl's Very Own: Lemon Berry Coffee Cake, with love..

   Good afternoon, my dear readers! :) I have returned, this time with a completely (save one small sliver of a piece) devoured coffee cake, and a recipe to offer up in its place. 

   I think it is safe to say the cake was delicious, and a definite success. I, unlike it used to be, do not get to sample my cakes these days, you know, the forbidden ingredients and all, but between two friends; one recommending coconut sugar and the other, coconut flour - next time this cake is made, I WILL get to be tasting! Yum. (Btw, I'll blog about this later, but coconut 'sugar' isn't really sugar. It's an all natural sweetener. Yay!)

   So. Here's the recipe. It's my modified version, because half the ingredients I substituted, and the other half I changed the measurements.. and the topping, well, I completely redid the topping. So this is my signature Wooden Spoon Girl recipe! I love having a few of my own things, with my special taste and touch added.

Here goes:

1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup organic sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
2/3 cup organic Rice Dream
2 & 1/4 cup HOMEMADE baking mix
1/2 cup fresh or frozen blackberries
1/4 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
1/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
--
3 ounces (3 squares) white baking chocolate
1/8 cup warm organic Rice Dream
3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

   In a medium bowl, combine the egg, sugar, lemon peel and Rice Dream; mix well. Stir in the homemade baking mix until moistened and there are no lumps (homemade may clump more, as it doesn't have anti-caking agents added). Gently fold in the berries (if they are frozen, you'll want to let them thaw, and then stir in the juice as well, but remember not to over-stir. A few juice streaks look pretty against the yellow cake). 
   
   Pour into a greased 8-inch round baking pan. 
   
   Bake at 350* for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for ten minutes, then run a knife along the end of pan and turn it over onto a cake stand or serving plate. Allow to cool a while longer, as you prepare the frosting.

   Break each of the 3-ounce squares in half, placing them in a small saucepan. Turn the heat to medium law, and allow them to melt, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Heat 1/8 cup Rice Dream in microwave for about 10 seconds, gradually pour into the chocolate, and stir well. Add the lemon juice, one teaspoon at a time, mixing well after each addition. Cool a few minutes, then drizzle over the cake with a spoon. Do not spread. 

   Cut into wedges and enjoy! Serves 6.








1 comment: