Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Art of Tongue-Biting

No matter where you're from or who you are, there will be people who you just. can. not. stand. At this point I smile, because I have been there sooo many times. But the cool thing is, you can learn to appreciate people like this. 

You know how out of control you feel when someone uses you, and all you can think of doing is lashing our and hurting them? That's what we want. People who are mistreated want revenge. Even if it's the tiniest, most petty reason. So I want to take the time and think about it. (How many times, growing up, did you hear your parents say "think before you speak".. and how many times you just ignored it because you heard it sooo many times? Again, I smile at this. I love reminiscing about my bratty self. And sometimes, those things aren't so distant. ;) Maybe.. yesterday?


Funny  how we like to think of ourselves as mature, cool and collected adults. We like to think we have things under control. But our un-grown-out-of brattiness just keeps coming back and showing itself. Tell me I'm not the only one? You can lie to others but cannot lie to yourself.... :)

Something I've noticed is, it's always easier to notice faults in others than in myself. Not only that, often what we see (and dislike) in others is just mirroring a bad habit we possess too. So, this tongue-biting. I really do think it's an art. Anyone can talk and make a fool of themselves, but it takes a lot of strength to keep your mouth shut when you need to. In part, I believe in "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." I also believe people should confront others if what they are doing is actually wrong -or if it's harming others. But, in the situations that it's just an annoyance? Try thinking of something nice about that person. If there's nothing desirable in their personality, try complimenting one of their features. Or maybe you like their taste in house decorating. Maybe they are tidy and you appreciate that. Maybe they have a skill that is worth recognition. 


You know about positive and negative energies. Energy is going to be present regardless, so why not turn it into something positive? Revenge may sound like a pleasant idea, but you won't feel better about it when you're done. If you want to be in control, why not use it for good? Your attitude will be changed, and even if the other person continues on in their way -you could be a blessing in disguise.


Think about it.


Yes.. sometimes I really just need to beat my punching bag, go for a run or listen to loud music. But nothing bad can come of trying to calm yourself down and thinking clearly. (I feel better already!) 


What are your thoughts?


This is what my positive energy feels like right now. :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh Hannah! You are such a dear and I love your posts! You write very well my dear! Your posts all evoke some type of emotion! Excellent.

    Anyhow, I love the picture of the little girl, and I have OFTEN felt like how she looks!
    Love,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete