Sunday, January 15, 2012

Fried Potato Pancakes

   Saturday is typically leftover night, and I wasn't too thrilled about what was in the fridge. John came across a bowl of mashed potatoes, I tasted them, and they were still perfectly fresh. There wasn't enough for both of us to make a meal from, but neither were there other leftovers that would go well with mashed potatoes. 

   Then John remembered a childhood favorite, of potato pancakes his mom made. Of course, he didn't remember how to do them, so I called her up. She told me the recipe wasn't an actual recipe, and she just guessed at amounts, each time. (I love that kind of recipe!) She told me as best she could, what to add and how much, and I returned to the stove, ready to make something delicious.

So here goes, and have fun! -Because I didn't measure either ;)

3 cups mashed potatoes
1 cup shredded cheese
1 egg
salt & pepper to taste
butter for the griddle, about 2 tablespoons

   With a firm spatula or using your hands, mash egg, cheese and spices into the potatoes.
   Heat the griddle til hot. Apply two 0.5-tablespoon slabs of butter to either end of the griddle. Push around until melted with metal spatula.   Once butter starts to bubble and you know the surface is hot, splat a scoop of potato pancake onto the hot griddle. (I use a small gravy ladle, for size. About 1/4 cup) Cook for 2-3 minutes, then flip over. If pancake holds together and is browned, you're good to do the other side. When both sides are done, transfer to a plate, re-butter the griddle and do the next round. 

Makes 6 medium pancakes. Goes great with sausage links/patties or bacon, fried/scrambled eggs, buttered toast.


Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like the perfect dinner...and nice way to use leftovers. We call them "revamped" in my household because, for some strange reason, they object to the word 'leftover.'

    ReplyDelete