Monday, January 16, 2012

The Man in the Pizza Aisle

   The dinner I was planning for tonight takes 7-8 hours in the slow cooker. I did not realize that until about 45 minutes ago, therefore my conclusion to look for something else to eat. Rarely do I enjoy buying convenience food, and whenever I have the timing and funds, I'll make all my food from scratch. Well, seeing as I couldn't make the shredded beef sandwiches that would take the entire morning and afternoon in the slow cooker, I sadly resorted to pizza. There's this incredible Thai Chicken Pizza that I've been wanting to try for some time now, but only had a few dollars to spend. *sigh* So frozen it was! 


   As much as I would have preferred not being seen in the convenience food aisle, I am happy for the coincidence that there was another fellow from-scratch cook there, who had just gotten off work and was going to have a simple evening, over frozen pizza as well. A gentlemanly middle-aged fellow, short black hair, a black wool, knee-length double breasted coat, and jeans. I nearly ran into him as I made my way along the freezers and, smiling, he offered me a cheery hello. I grinned back, stepped out of his way, and said "hi". He then went on to ask me if I was grabbing a quick dinner as well, and if I liked pasta? If so, there was a delicious brand of frozen pasta I could try. I said I had not tried it, but did indeed like pasta. (In my own defense, lest he think I was a Pasta-roni, Pop-Tarts & Lunchables girl, I added that I loved to cook from scratch, and tonight I simply didn't have the time.) He looked slightly shocked, that I loved to cook, and responded that he as well, loved making things at home, from scratch. We talked for a bit, then as I finally made my choice, he told me if I ever go to Door County, I should try the olive oil store there. His brother visited once and bought his several of the big bottles. One was rosemary lemon, another garlic something, and I forgot the last one. He told me one of his favorite steak recipes, how he marinates them in these flavored olive oils. He then wished me a good evening, and we parted ways.


   All the way home, I was smiling. I love how things "just happen" like that.. and something that would have otherwise been ordinary and boring.. (and perhaps slightly embarrassing!) turned into something fun, and I now have even more reasons that I need to go to Door County. :D


   Thank you, friendly man in the black wool coat at Walmart. You made my night.

No comments:

Post a Comment